Enjoy a full-day sightseeing tour of the American sectors of the D-Day Normandy invasion. An experienced English-speaking guide will show you the battlefield sites and explain in detail the events that occurred ... More info ›
Enjoy a full-day sightseeing tour of the American sectors of the D-Day Normandy invasion. An experienced English-speaking guide will show you the battlefield sites and explain in detail the events that occurred.
To join this tour, you and your small group will need to take the train from Paris St Lazare to Carentan and catch a return train to Paris from Bayeux after the tour. This pleasant train journey takes just 2 hours and 30 minutes in each direction.
As someone else will be doing the driving for you, you will arrive in Normandy stress free and relaxed. The tour vehicle and guide will be waiting at the station for you and you will then head off to explore the incredible D-Day history.
After taking a morning train from Paris' St. Lazare station (about 2.5 hours, fare not included), meet your tour guide and driver at the Carentan train station at 9:50 am. Set off on a guided tour of the American sectors of the D-Day Normandy invasion. When you arrive at each location, your guide will then show you around, explain historical events in detail, and then allow free time to take photos and reflect.
Tour Itinerary (main sites):
- Sainte Mere Eglise: You will learn about the role that the 82nd and 101st Airborne performed in the early hours of D-Day morning. You will also hear the amazing story of 82nd Airborne paratrooper, John Steele, who got caught on the church steeple during the drop.
- Utah Beach: Discover the location where the American 4th Division landed on the beach at 6:30 am on D-Day. This division was commanded by Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.
- Pointe Du Hoc: You will be amazed when you see the remaining German bunkers and casemates of this former long-range gun battery position. This location was the most heavily bombed site in Normandy, and the bomb cratering is still very evident.
- Omaha Beach: Come and see the beach that has been referred to as 'Bloody Omaha.' The guide will give you a detailed account of what took place and show you the German positions that proved extremely difficult to overcome.
- Normandy American Cemetery: This is a perfect end to the tour. The guide will give you a detailed explanation about the cemetery before allowing you time to see the visitor center and walk in the cemetery grounds. Pay your respects to the 9,386 service men and women who are buried here.
You will also pass many other sites of interest where the guide will share stories. After 8.5 hours, catch the train from Bayeux back to Paris.